Keep up with The Daily: Vol. 250

Published by The Stanford Daily on

Dear Stanford Daily alumni,

Welcome to the first alumni newsletter in recent memory. As The Stanford Daily gears up to celebrate its 125th anniversary, we are planning a series of initiatives to better engage our incredible alumni community and help you connect with each other as well as with Daily staff. We’ll start with regular email and social media updates, followed by a series of local alumni events, as well as volunteer and mentoring opportunities. And stay tuned for news (soon) about a special Daily@125 Celebration during Big Game weekend 2017.

Get Connected

One of the easiest ways to stay in touch with The Daily (and find Daily staffers from your era) is to join the alumni Facebook and LinkedIn groups. You can also subscribe to our Daily Digest for a morning email with top news, sports, features and opinions. Last but not least, cruise down memory lane via The Daily’s digital archives.

Volume 250 Update

The mid-year hand-off of Daily editorial leadership recently took place between Volume 250 EIC Kylie Jue ’17 and Volume 251 EIC Victor Xu ’17. Volume 250 saw major additions to The Daily’s media offerings, as The Daily introduced both a monthly magazine and an annual yearbook.

The Stanford Daily Magazine

The magazine was created to give staffers the opportunity to better explore long-form and investigative stories. So far, the magazine has featured pieces on Stanford’s transition to clean energy, as well as on Michele Dauber, who’s leading the charge against sexual assault on college campuses. The magazine also gives us the opportunity to showcase forms less suited for a daily newspaper, like fiction writing and humor columns.

If you’re interested in taking a closer look at this new product, we’re currently mailing sets of the magazine out for free to Daily alumni! Please fill out this form to receive your collection at the end of the school year.

The Daily/Quad Yearbook

The Daily has also taken over The Quad, Stanford’s yearbook, after the Senior Class Presidents struggled to produce the book in the last two years after the termination of the yearbook student group. The Daily hopes to use our experience covering campus to make the Quad more like the product that has cataloged life at Stanford for over 100 years.

Veronica Cruz ’16, Daily alum and current Chief Revenue Officer, has led the project:

“We successfully recruited a talented yearbook team in the fall, one with members from every undergrad class as well as the graduate population. The team has been hard at work creating a 2017 keepsake for all students. Although we faced the challenge of reviving the Quad name after its hiatus, our sales progress indicates that the yearbook will be a successful endeavor for The Daily. If you’re interested in learning more, check out stanforddaily.com/yearbook”

By the way, along with the Quad name, The Daily also acquired several boxes of old yearbooks from as far back as the 1970s. Email yearbook@stanforddaily.com if you’re interested in acquiring one from your era. Or check out more about the yearbook here.

Alumni Events

Last November, we hosted our annual Big Game Banquet, where 40 alumni (mostly locals) had dinner and drinks at the Faculty Club and listened to a panel discussion featuring current editors, moderated by Daily Board member and Stanford professor Ann Grimes. The panel discussed changes at The Daily as well as student reactions to the 2016 election, and the future of college journalism during such a volatile time for media institutions.

We also hosted 30-40 alumni at The Daily offices during Reunion Homecoming Weekend, and will repeat both the Big Game Banquet and Homecoming open house this year. We’re also keen to better engage people who can’t make it to campus every year. Please email us if you’re interested in hosting an alumni gathering in New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Boston, etc.

Highlights of Volume 250

Finally, here are some highlights of the previous volume:

Regards,
Andrew Vogeley ’17, Alumni Engagement Director, The Stanford Daily
Victor Xu ’17, Editor-in-Chief, The Stanford Daily
Andrew Mather ’16, Chief Operating Officer, The Stanford Daily
Tim Marklein ’91, President, Friends of The Stanford Daily

Categories: Daily News

0 Comments